Monday, May 2, 2011

Women Touching On The Bus

my mother's mother did not like Mother's Day



Virgin of Vladimir, XII.Galería century Tretyakov, Moscow



Mother's Day was for my mother's mother (the grandmother), the harder and stressful for everyone. The often repeated, with a laugh, never bother. I did not understand the reasons in my childhood that I had to qualify that, YOUR day with negativity. Liked to say that yes, it was a date I expected, but only because he could return to see their children. Most of them lived outside the city and also most certainly belonged to males: they came with their children (grandchildren, among whom was me), his wives, his nephews, who, likewise, brought to their wives, but as none of the "male" present know-or unwilling-heat or water, they touched to them, in their day honomástico, dealing, as never before throughout the year, with the hectic activities of the kitchen.

When I was a teenager, said the grandmother received an endorsement by my mother (her daughter). I remember when we talked (with her, my sister) on the near and next day the mother told us: "Ja, Mother's Day ...". I asked, how, does not like Mother's Day?. My sister, half smiling, nodded to confirm his statement ironic. Ah, I said, is why last year said the grandmother. Yes, I replied, with a fleeting smile. I remember then continued: "Cute Mother's Day and none of you (referring to my father, my male presence and always) begins to think that this is a day OUR, which should rather not get us out and cooking. The food, he asked, is whether or not a reception dedicated to someone, do not you? ". Yo, without feeling that it was a true claim yet, but a tad surprised that he corroborated each other, nodding his head slowly, his eyes more open than usual, as if waiting for the revelation of a mystery. Replied softly: "Ahhhh ...". My sister, an accomplice of a conversation probably hatched, laughed in the face that I was stunned doing.

The manager of my days, as I came to realize later, wanting me understand that a tribute is made around a meal and that they, the mothers, due to the unconditional love that we reserve, ending celebrating the fact of having us together even once in the year about it, so, for the millionth time, delicious cuisine and responding more forcefully.

was still weak from my understanding of that simple but beautiful truths taught without any exalted by these extraordinary creatures. After one year, the lesson turned into evidence. Over the classic parade of greetings and congratulations for the prosperity of the midwife, then, one by one, leaving in their hands the typical present (a new set of pots, dishes, iron, wow ... a new kitchen), after satisfying our bellies with dishes, desserts and coffee, spent Mother's Day, as the previous year and how will, inevitably, is about, what happened next.

I was a youngster without a job and I did tell my mother, perhaps motivated by envy innocent boy, "Mommy, when I'm going to give work the same as xx and everything you need to do things" . He said nothing. I think that some concerns were keeping silent that day and left me thinking that, at best, paid no attention to what I said. It was not true, heard it all, because on another occasion, quite close to the time of the previous story, while serving the table, amid the noise of pots and dishes said not to worry, that was enough for him to accept that people do not know do nothing but perpetuate it in the kitchen, washing and ironing clothes, or else he said, they should say that these children of my grandmother gave them to give away, every last years: new game continue cooking pots, dishes new to the board to continue to serve and not to be "bored" in the day. The mystery, at last, I was completely revealed. I learned, as far as I could, the lesson.

Over time, some family members thought they saw in the release of technology, at least at the time, the slave inconveniences of a crowded house. The parade to the midwife for the new birthday included, instead of cookware, a fully electric pot, for the iron and laundry washers and dryers, the sweep of a novel vacuum systems. Completed one of our family entertainment excited explained that poor mother, now, for something had to serve technology.


Veglio Clavijo, April 2011




0 comments:

Post a Comment